Salem Alums 2011
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Memorial Scholarship

2 posters

Go down

Memorial Scholarship Empty Memorial Scholarship

Post by KariR Mon May 15, 2017 2:06 pm

So this is a bit awkward of a way to share this information but it will probably be the easiest and most relevant.

Laura Phillips passed away last week. It appears to be of natural causes, a complication from her medication or something, as opposed to suicide or a car accident. It hasn't been really publicized whether for out of respect for the family or some other reason, I'm not sure. I'm getting my information from Sara E, who's in touch with Becca since they were good friends. But I haven't heard anything about a memorial service or what the family would like.

I was thinking we could do a fundraising campaign for a scholarship for an art student in Laura's name. It wouldn't be huge, but even if it's $100 that would help cover art supplies which are ridiculous (I also figure $100 from our class once a year wouldn't break the bank.) I'm not sure how to go about it entirely, but I was kinda thinking of an annual thing and the art faculty can suggest who they think needs it/would best benefit from it. But I would not want to do anything like this if the family didn't want it.

Elizabeth and I had talked about maybe doing something in Caroline Wall's name since she was in our sister class. That being said, as much as I love Caroline, I think we should do something for Laura first. I still think it would be nice to do something for Caroline's memory, but Laura was alongside us for the whole thing.

I'm sorry to bring it up this way, but I imagine that this would be the easiest for now. Please do not make too public of a statement at this time since I don't know if it's an issue for the family or not.

KariR

Back to top Go down

Memorial Scholarship Empty Re: Memorial Scholarship

Post by EATKINS Wed May 24, 2017 4:42 pm

Yes, I was going to ask about doing something for Laura but I wasn't sure how to bring it up. I just heard of her passing last week. I think art supplies (scholarship) would be such a great idea. If we wanted to something small on campus I could help since I'm local. She loved swimming, so maybe we could sell something with the logo "keep swimming" to help with the fund.

EATKINS

Back to top Go down

Post by KariR Wed May 24, 2017 5:45 pm

I think a TShirt or something with "Keep Swimming" would be a great idea, especially combined with her love of Disney. I can reach out to Becca and Sara E to see what their thoughts are and/or have them connect me with family to be sure that they are comfortable with it.

KariR

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum